16.1627, Qs: Negation Systems; Referential Competence

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 21 20:58:44 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1627. Sat May 21 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1627, Qs: Negation Systems; Referential Competence

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-May-2005
From: Claire Lampp < lampp at email.unc.edu >
Subject: Negation Systems

2)
Date: 21-May-2005
From: José Luis González Escribano < scribby at telecable.es >
Subject: Referential Competence

Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 16:56:15
From: Claire Lampp < lampp at email.unc.edu >

Dear Linguists,

I am a graduate student working on a master's thesis dealing with the
development of systems of negation.  More specifically, I am looking at the
three negators in Hindi.  Bhatia (1995) has classified these as ''mat''
(non-honorific imperative), ''na'' (subjunctive, honorific, imperative,
conditional, participial and gerundive phrases), and ''nahi?:'' (elsewhere).
 Thus far most of the research I am aware of has focused on the formal
split in their development.  I am looking for information on other
languages with multiple negators whose use is divided along similar
functional lines. Information on the historical development of such systems
would be especially welcome.  Thank you for your help.

                     Genetic Classification
                     Historical Linguistics
                     Language Description
                     Typology