16.1710, Qs: Diglossia and Lang Attitude; Medical Genre

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun May 29 21:02:29 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1710. Sun May 29 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1710, Qs: Diglossia and Lang Attitude; Medical Genre

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date: 29-May-2005
From: Heiko Wiggers < wiggersheiko at hotmail.com >
Subject: the High-variety in diglossia

2)
Date: 29-May-2005
From: Eszter Molnar < claddaghringgirl at yahoo.com >
Subject: Medical Genre Analysis

Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:53:16
From: Heiko Wiggers < wiggersheiko at hotmail.com >

Dear all,

I have a question concerning diglossia.  I have conducted a sociolinguistic
field study on the state of Low German (Plattdeutsch) in 2003.  In my target
area, Low German serves as the L-variety, and Standard German as the H-variety.
 I also included in my study 35 H-speakers, i.e. they either grew up in the area
or have been living there longer than 15 years but do not speak the L-variety.
I asked them about their attitudes toward Low German (the L-variety), and the
results are surprisingly positive, considering that in diglossic speech
communities, the L-variety enjoys usually a lot less prestige than the H-variety
(e.g. almost 70% of my informants stated that hearing the L-variety makes them
feel comfortable, and more than 80% stated that the L-variety should be
reinforced in the local schools).

My question is:  have there been similar studies where the speakers of the
H-variety in diglossia were interviewed, specifically with regards to their
attitudes toward the L-variety?  Are the results usually that positive? Could
anyone point me to similar studies (including author, journal, year, etc.)?
Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Heiko Wiggers
Undergraduate Instructor of German and Dutch
Department of Germanics
University of Texas,  Austin

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s):