16.1723, Jobs: Morphology/Syntax: Lang Test Engineer, Butler Hill

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 31 19:48:20 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1723. Tue May 31 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1723, Jobs: Morphology/Syntax: Lang Test Engineer, Butler Hill

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-May-2005
From: Margaret Salome < v-marsal at microsoft.com >
Subject: Morphology/Syntax:  Language Test Engineer, Butler Hill Group,USA

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:40:53
From: Margaret Salome < v-marsal at microsoft.com >

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!

University or Organization: Butler Hill Group
Job Rank: Linguistic Test Engineer
Specialty Areas: morpho-syntax
Required Language(s): Dutch (DUT)
                      Hebrew (HBR)

The Butler Hill Group, a small consulting company, seeks Dutch and Hebrew
linguists (native-level fluency) to perform a number of tasks related to
Dutch and Hebrew natural language processing systems under development,
including consulting with linguists,syntacticians, lexicographers, and
developers during the development process, and then performing quality
assurance (testing) of the output. Sample tasks might include verifying the
accuracy of parse trees, setting lexical (semantic) features on dictionary
entries, and testing the output of an English-Dutch and English-Hebrew
machine translation system.

Candidates should be native or near-native speakers of Dutch or Hebrew,
with academic or professional background in Dutch or Hebrew linguistics,
especially syntax, strong computer skills in a Windows environment,
excellent communication skills in English, and a detail-oriented
personality. The ideal candidate would be close enough to our client in
Redmond, WA, to consult occasionally on-site, working remotely the rest of
the time; however, we will also consider someone off-site who would work
entirely remotely, though some travel may be required.

This is an excellent opportunity for a graduate student or junior faculty
seeking extra income; we can accomodate many unusual scheduling and
telecommuting requirements. The ideal schedule would include some early
morning availability (Pacific Time).

US residents must have US work authorization (US citizen or permanent
resident). Unfortunately, the Butler Hill Group cannot sponsor employment
visas.

Must have regular, secure access (e.g. not a public machine) to a machine
running a recent version of Windows, with good Internet connectivity.

This is part-time contract work, 10-20 hours/week. A professional hourly
rate will be paid, as 1099 self-employment income.

To apply, please send a cover letter and resume or CV, in English, by June
15, 2005 to:

Address for Applications:

Margaret Salome
v-marsal at microsoft.com (e-mail only, please)