16.3257, Sum: St.Lucian English and Creole

LINGUIST List linguist at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Fri Nov 11 15:19:03 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-3257. Fri Nov 11 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.3257, Sum: St.Lucian English and Creole

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Amy Renaud <renaud at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Nov-2005
From: Antheia Cadette-Blasse < antheiac at hotmail.com >
Subject: St.Lucian English and Creole

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:15:26
From: Antheia Cadette-Blasse < antheiac at hotmail.com >

Regarding query: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-2988.html#1

Recently I posted a query on linguistlist regarding the phonology of
St.Lucian English received very insightful information from a few
linguists. My heartfelt thanks go out to:

Jeffery ALlen
Dr.Martha Isaac
Edward Mitchell
Paul Garrett
Kansai Guy

The following were recommended for information on St.Lucian French Creole
phonology:

Lawrence Carrington (1984). St.Lucian Creole: A descriptive analysis of its
Phonology and Morpho-Syntax.

Jeffery ALlen. (1994. Sainte-Lucie: reflexification,
décréolisation,recréolisation ou adlexification? Doctoral thesis,
Département des sciences du langage et Centre de Recherche Linguistiques et
Sémiologiques . Université Lyon 2, 183 pages.

The latter also contains information regarding the phonology of St.Lucian
English. Jeffery Allen however provides more of a sociolinguistic
perspective of the St.Lucian languages in:

Jeffery Allen. (1992). Sainte-Lucie: Description sociolinguistique d'une
île antillaise. Département des sciences du langage. Université Lyon 2, 111
pages.

Equally insightful, but within the field of Anthropological Linguitics is
work by Paul Garrett:

Paul Garrett. (2003). An English Creole that isn't: On the sociohistorical
origins and linguistic classification of the vernacular English St.Lucia.
In Michael Aceto & Jeffery Williams (Eds.), Contact Englishes of the Caribbean.

Paul Garrett. (2000). ''High Kwéyòl'': The emergence of a formal Creole
register in St.Lucia.

The work of David Frank, as well as John Amastae and Pauline Christie was
also recommended. (Amastae and Christie have worked extensively on Domincan
Creole).

Once again, many thanks to all those who responded to my query.

Antheia Cadette-Blasse
Étudiante (Maîtrise)
Université Laval
Québec