16.2828, Support: Computational Ling: PhD Student, U of Groningen

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 2 05:46:40 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2828. Sun Oct 02 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2828, Support: Computational Ling: PhD Student, U of Groningen

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-Oct-2005
From: John Nerbonne < j.nerbonne at rug.nl >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: PhD Student, University of Groningen, Netherlands

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:39:54
From: John Nerbonne < j.nerbonne at rug.nl >

University or Organization: University of Groningen
Job Rank: PhD
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics, Semantics, Pragmatics

Faculty of Arts/Center for Language and Cognition Groningen (CLCG) announces the
following position:   Ubbo Emmius Graduate Fellowship

The Ubbo Emmius positions are open only to foreign applicants. Dutch citizens
are not eligible due to tax restrictions.

There is one position available in computational linguistics. The computational
linguistics group was rated as 'excellent' in a recent evaluation. There are
research lines in parsing (van Noord), Question-Answering(Bouma), Phonology and
Language Learning (Bouma & Nerbonne), Semantics and Pragmatics (Egg), and tools
for dialectology and language contact study (Nerbonne).

We can only entertain applications seriously which are clearly related to one of
the existing research lines. We are particularly interested in strengthening the
semantics/pragmatics line, but we will accept applications in all areas related
to our research lines.

The positions should begin as soon as possible, no later than May 1, 2006. They
all require residence in Groningen, 38 hours/week research, and the stipends
must result in a PhD dissertation.

The Ubbo Emmius graduate students receive stipends of gross 1370 Euro per month,
normally with slight cost-of-living increases in later years. Graduate student
fellows receive a contract for one year extendible for three further years
subject to evaluation after the first year.

Your profile (studentships):
* a MA degree in Linguistics or Computational Linguistics or a related field
such as Computer Science with substantial work on language, etc.
* preferably research experience in the relevant field
* able to work independently
* interest in interdisciplinary research
* excellent record of undergraduate and Master's level study
* willing to learn Dutch

Procedure:
Please include in your application letter remarks about how this position fits
in your career goals and how you hope to contribute scientifically. In total we
would like to receive:
* a letter of application (see above)
* a project proposal
* your curriculum vitae
* a copy of your diploma together with a list of grades
* a list of publications (if any)
* the names and email addresses of two referees

If you are interested in applying, please send the materials above before the
15th of October 2005 to the address below.

Please note on the envelope and in your letter that you are applying for a Ubbo
Emmius Fellowship.

Address for Applications:

Dr. Gertjan van Noord
vannoord at let.rug.nl