16.2832, Qs: Comparative Adjectives; Corpora in Lang Testing

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 2 19:11:05 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2832. Sun Oct 02 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2832, Qs: Comparative Adjectives; Corpora in Lang Testing

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Oct-2005
From: Muhammad-Reza Fakhr-Rohani < fxr41 at yahoo.co.uk >
Subject: Comparative Adjectives

2)
Date: 30-Sep-2005
From: Fiona Barker < Barker.F at CAMBRIDGEESOL.ORG >
Subject: Use of Corpora in Language Testing

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 15:08:43
From: Muhammad-Reza Fakhr-Rohani < fxr41 at yahoo.co.uk >

Dear Linguist,

Are you aware of any language or dialect in which (either or both of) the
following phenomena exist? The phenomena are as follows:

1.

A positive adjective is followed by a segment, whether a vowel or a consonant,
when it is used attributively, but not predicatively. A hypothetical example
(from English) might be as follows:

the good + (Vowel/Consonant) + picture vs. the picture is good.

Please note that the segment is neither an agreement marker nor a gender marker.

2.

When used attributively, certain comparative adjectives imply emphasis on the
concept conveyed by the positive form of the adjective(s) at stake. This
phenomenon must exist when an utterer used a comparative form without any
positive or basic form earlier used, or when there is no standard of comparison.
A hypothetical English example might be as follows:

The sentence "I want a bigger desk." is used when there is no other desk around,
while "bigger" implies not "bigger than any other desk", but "big+ Emphasis".

In this case, the comparative marker (CMPR) tends to, or seems to, function as
an emphasis marker (EMPH).

I will be grateful for your comments. Please send them to me as soon as possible.

Dr. M.-R. Fakhr-Rohani
Fxr41 at yahoo.co.uk
dr_fakhr_rohani at yahoo.com

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics