16.2876, Qs: Word Token Frequency - Adult Speakers; Genie

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 5 21:03:31 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2876. Wed Oct 05 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2876, Qs: Word Token Frequency - Adult Speakers; Genie

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Oct-2005
From: Bill Croft < w.croft at manchester.ac.uk >
Subject: Word Token Frequency Estimates for Adult Speakers

2)
Date: 02-Oct-2005
From: Alan Kaye < akaye at Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU >
Subject: Genie - Recent Information

Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 16:59:26
From: Bill Croft < w.croft at manchester.ac.uk >

Are there any published (or unpublished) estimates of how many words a
typical speaker is exposed to (produces and hears), per day, or per year,
or even in a lifetime? I am aware of some token frequency estimates of
exposure to language use by children acquiring language (though I don't
have the references), but not for adults.

I will post a summary.

Thanks,
Bill Croft

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics