16.3138, FYI: Revised Braille IPA

LINGUIST List linguist at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Mon Oct 31 16:35:01 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-3138. Mon Oct 31 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.3138, FYI: Revised Braille IPA

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Svetlana Aksenova <svetlana at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-Oct-2005
From: Robert Englebretson < reng at ruf.rice.edu >
Subject: Revised Braille IPA

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:32:01
From: Robert Englebretson < reng at ruf.rice.edu >

Dear Linguists,

Based on the number of queries I have received over the years regarding
braille versions of the International Phonetic Alphabet, I thought the
following link would be useful:

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~reng/BrlIPA.html

This page is devoted to the Unified IPA Braille project, which I am
currently working on in conjunction with the International council on
English Braille.  We are drafting an updated and revised version of braille
IPA, which we hope can finally become an international standardized code.
The page contains current versions of the code draft for download (PDF and
formatted braille versions), presents some background and history of
braille IPA codes, and seeks input from braille-reading linguists and
others who use the IPA.  Because the system is designed around the Unicode
IPA codepoints, makers of automated braille translation software will be
able to support IPA characters in their products, which will hopefully lead
to a greater supply of braille materials utilizing the IPA, and will
improve access for blind professionals and students to the literature.

We would value all comments and suggestions, in order to make this code as
robust and useful as possible.  I would especially welcome comments from
braille readers living in countries which do not use English Braille, as we
would like to make the braille IPA code a truly international system.
Please pass this link along to anyone who may be interested.

In order to work out some of the details of automated Unicode to IPA
braille translation, we are also seeking sample texts which have been
transcribed into IPA using Unicode.  If you have any fully-Unicode
compliant materials that you would be willing to share with the committee,
please e-mail them to me at reng at rice.edu preferably as a Word, RTF, or
UTF-8 encoded file.  Older ''symbol fonts'' won't work--these must be fully
Unicode.

In addition to information on braille IPA, the page also contains a list of
links related to blind accessibility in linguistics, including my
instructions and character maps for reading Unicode IPA with the Jaws For
Windows screen reader.

All input is welcome, and I hope this will be a useful resource.

--Robert Englebretson

Dept. of Linguistics
Rice University

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~reng