16.2594, Qs: Irregular Past Tense Forms; Text-analysis Sofware

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Sep 10 01:01:14 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2594. Fri Sep 09 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2594, Qs: Irregular Past Tense Forms; Text-analysis Sofware

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Sep-2005
From: Scott McClure < scott.mcclure at yale.edu >
Subject: Generating Irregular English Past Tense Forms

2)
Date: 08-Sep-2005
From: Tim Hadley < tim.hadley at ttu.edu >
Subject: Text-analysis Software

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:59:29
From: Scott McClure < scott.mcclure at yale.edu >

Hi,

I've been looking at Albright and Hayes (2003) article ''Rules vs.
Analogies in the English Past Tense: A Computational/Experimental Study,''
in which individuals were given a wug test where they had to volunteer and
rate past tense forms for possible English. They found that the subjects
seemed to use rules to generate both standard and irregular past tense
forms. I was wondering if anyone knew of any similar research since the
Allbright and Hayes study, and whether similar research has been done with
children at the age when they tend to over-generalize the ''-ed''
past-tense marker.

Many thanks,
Scott

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition
                     Psycholinguistics