16.2611, Qs: Icelandic Syntactic Change; Online Ling Curriculum

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Sep 11 21:58:19 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2611. Sun Sep 11 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2611, Qs: Icelandic Syntactic Change; Online Ling Curriculum

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Sep-2005
From: Leslie Root < leslie.root at yale.edu >
Subject: Syntactic Change in Icelandic

2)
Date: 10-Sep-2005
From: Abigail Konopasky < dr.konopasky at cox.net >
Subject: Computer-based Linguistics Curriculum

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:57:19
From: Leslie Root < leslie.root at yale.edu >

Hello! I'm an undergraduate linguistics major at Yale. For my senior
thesis, I'm investigating syntactic change in Icelandic caused by contact
with English. I've already been to Iceland and collected data in the form
of grammaticality judgment surveys, but I was hoping to augment my research
using corpora. I would like to count instances of Icelandic constructions
such as object topicalization, so corpora of either written or spontaneous
spoken Icelandic would be useful. Corpora that include data from a few
decades ago as well as more recent data would be particularly helpful.

Additionally, if anyone knows of any good recent accounts of
contact-induced syntactic change (in any language), I would be interested
in reading them.

Thank you very much in advance!

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     Syntax
                     Text/Corpus Linguistics