16.2635, Qs: English Phrase Recognition; Ordering of Names

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 12 22:56:56 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2635. Mon Sep 12 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2635, Qs: English Phrase Recognition; Ordering of Names

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Sep-2005
From: Cate Dolan < catherine.dolan at yale.edu >
Subject: English Phrase Recognition

2)
Date: 12-Sep-2005
From: Cate Dolan < catherine.dolan at yale.edu >
Subject: Ordering of Names

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:55:13
From: Cate Dolan < catherine.dolan at yale.edu >

Hello. I am interested in conducting some research on phrase recognition,
and what portion of the language system seems to have the greatest effect
on a person's ability to decipher phrases. This arises from some
observation of people playing the board game Mad Gab, where the players
attempt to identify/pick out a common phrase from a "phrase" of unrelated
words that sound more or less like the common phrase (e.g. "eight weeds
hoot" sounds like "a tweed suit," or "ice mail ask hunk" sounds like "I
smell a skunk" or "ask rude arrive her" sounds like "a screwdriver"). I
would like to examine which linguistic factor most facilitates the
deciphering of the target phrase in this game, and am thus looking for some
good reading on how changing intonation, manner of articulation, etc.
affects a person's ability to process language. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thank you!

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics