16.2689, Qs: Philippine Language Policy & Education; Alibata

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 19 14:33:26 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2689. Mon Sep 19 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2689, Qs: Philippine Language Policy & Education; Alibata

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-Sep-2005
From: Christopher Lapinig < christopher.lapinig at yale.edu >
Subject: Language Policy and Education in the Philippines

2)
Date: 18-Sep-2005
From: Christopher Lapinig < christopher.lapinig at yale.edu >
Subject: The Philippine Script of Alibata (Also, Baybayin)

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:32:17
From: Christopher Lapinig < christopher.lapinig at yale.edu >

I am very interested in the effects of language policy in multilingual
societies on the efficacy of education. Most specifically, I am curious to
find out how the Filipino-English bilingual policy employed in the
Philippines affects the learning of those schoolchildren for whom neither
English nor Filipino/Tagalog is their first language or at least language
spoken at home. I am also interested in possible comparative studies
paralleling the education experience found in the Philippines as opposed to
that found in bilingual settings in the United States and other
multilingual countries like India.

I have found some literature on the effects of bi-/multilingual language
policy in the Philippines by Smolicz, both in the International Review of
Education and the International Journal of Bilingual Education and
Bilingualism, but his studies surveyed only high school age children on
their attitudes towards the use of the vernacular, Filipino, and English. I
am more interested in numerical data investigating the success rate of
schoolchildren based on linguistic background -- are Tagalog students, for
example, more successful at learning mathematics and social sciences
because it is taught in their native tongue? The answer should be
intuitive, I suppose, but I was curious to find out if any studies have
been done with this methodology and purpose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks in advance,

Christopher Lapinig

                     Sociolinguistics