16.2727, Qs: Reduplicated Quotatives; Reverse Language Transfer

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 22 17:40:07 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2727. Thu Sep 22 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2727, Qs: Reduplicated Quotatives; Reverse Language Transfer

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Sep-2005
From: Elena Bashir < ebashir at uchicago.edu >
Subject: Reduplicated Quotatives

2)
Date: 21-Sep-2005
From: Detelina Kalkandjieva < detelina at yale.edu >
Subject: Reverse Language Transfer - Positive or Negative?

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:38:20
From: Elena Bashir < ebashir at uchicago.edu >

Dear linguists,

I am working on reduplicated quotative constructions in Panjabi, and am looking
for (potential) examples of such constructions (full reduplication with the
function of direct quotation) in other languages, whether from South Asia or
elsewhere.  A Panjabi example of the type of construction I am researching is:

mai~ ful paawar ful paawar paRhiyaa
I    full power full power read
'I read, "Full power".'

Also, if anyone has encountered similar examples in earlier stages of Indo-Aryan
languages, I would be extremely interested to hear of those.

With thanks,

Elena Bashir, Ph.D., Lecturer in Urdu
Department of South Asian Languages and Civilizations
The University of Chicago, Foster 212
1130 E. 59th St.
Chicago, IL 60637

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology