16.2776, FYI: Call for Applications: European Linguistics M.A.

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 27 16:30:37 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2776. Tue Sep 27 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2776, FYI: Call for Applications: European Linguistics M.A.

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Svetlana Aksenova <svetlana at linguistlist.org>

Date: 26-Sep-2005
From: Bernd Kortmann < Bernd.Kortmann at anglistik.uni-freiburg.de >
Subject: European Linguistics M.A. ? Call for Applications

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:28:03
From: Bernd Kortmann < Bernd.Kortmann at anglistik.uni-freiburg.de >

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to announce the continuation of a joint project originally
conceived by the German, English and Romance language departments of the
Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg in Germany, the

MASTER OF EUROPEAN LINGUISTICS (M.A.)

We started this new, strongly research-oriented Master's programme in the
summer semester 2004. Students of the first MEL-generation will graduate in
spring 2006. We invite applications from all students with a strong
background in linguistics and a first academic degree (usually a Bachelor),
preferably in linguistics or foreign language studies. This Master's
programme is designed in full accordance with the guidelines of the Bologna
Declaration of the European Union.

Classes are offered in the following linguistic modules:

* The European Languages: Structures, Typology, Language Contact
* Standard and Non-Standard Varieties in Europe
* Schools and Traditions of Linguistic Thought in Europe
* Minority Languages in Europe

* Multilingual and Multicultural Communication in Europe
* The Linguistic History of Europe

In addition, we offer a research module that includes an internship abroad,
a conference visit, classes on research design and presentation skills.

As the registration deadline for this programme is November 30, 2005, we
would like you to share this information with any interested organizations,
colleagues, and students at your earliest convenience.

Details on the program are available at:
http://www.anglistik.uni-freiburg.de/mel

Please direct all questions and comments to:
european.linguistics at anglistik.uni-freiburg.de

Thank you very much for your interest and all your efforts on our behalf.

With best wishes from Freiburg

Prof. Dr. Bernd Kortmann
Chair of English Linguistics

Programme Director
Englisches Seminar
Rempartstr. 15
Albert-Ludwigs Universität Freiburg im Breisgau
79085 Freiburg
Germany

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics
                     General Linguistics
                     History of Linguistics
                     Language Description
                     Linguistic Theories