16.2785, Qs: Origin of Pot 'Cannabis'; Movement to SpecIP

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 27 21:44:08 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2785. Tue Sep 27 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2785, Qs: Origin of Pot 'Cannabis'; Movement to SpecIP

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 27-Sep-2005
From: Max Wheeler < m.w.wheeler at sussex.ac.uk >
Subject: Origin of Pot 'Cannabis'

2)
Date: 26-Sep-2005
From: Yael Fuerst < yael.fuerst at yale.edu >
Subject: Movement to SpecIP - Experimental Evidence

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:42:45
From: Max Wheeler < m.w.wheeler at sussex.ac.uk >

The Oxford English Dictionary s.v. POT n.5 says 'prob. f. Mexican Sp.
_potiguaya_ marijuana leaves'. Many English language websites tell the same
story, some giving the supposed variant Spanish forms _potaguaya_ or
_potacion de guaya_.

I have so far found no evidence that _potiguaya_, _potaguaya_ or _potacion
de guaya_ are in fact used in Spanish. I would be interested to know of any
evidence that any of these expressions is used in any variety of Spanish.
If any of them is used, I would also like to know the meaning.

Linguistic Field(s): Lexicography