16.2814, Sum: Modification : Solid-state Recorders

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Sep 30 15:30:48 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2814. Fri Sep 30 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2814, Sum: Modification : Solid-state Recorders

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Amy Renaud <renaud at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-Sep-2005
From: Marc Brunelle < mbrunell at umich.edu >
Subject: Modification : Solid-state Recorders

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:25:50
From: Marc Brunelle < mbrunell at umich.edu >

Regarding query: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-2639.html#1
Regarding summary:  http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-2710.html

Robert Englegretson pointed out two mistakes in my review of solid-state
recorders.

1) The edirol R-1 has a 110/220V adaptor.
2) In his words: ''The Edirol does in fact have a level meter.  Pressing
the 'display' button while in record mode toggles between it and the time
display.  The drawback of the Edirol's level meter is that it doesn't show
left and right channels independently from one another.''

Robert confirms that the R1 does not produce adequate volume level.  This
problem can be solved by using an external mic preamp.

Marc Brunelle
Dept. of Linguistics
University of Michigan

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics