16.2815, Sum: Endangered Language Breakdown

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Sep 30 15:35:39 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2815. Fri Sep 30 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2815, Sum: Endangered Language Breakdown

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Amy Renaud <renaud at linguistlist.org>

Date: 27-Sep-2005
From: Serena Crivellaro < serena.crivellaro at yale.edu >
Subject: Endangered Language Breakdown

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:33:22
From: Serena Crivellaro < serena.crivellaro at yale.edu >

Regarding query: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-2688.html#1

Relevant Literature:
DORIAN, NANCY, ed. 1989    Investigating Obsolescence: Studies in Language
Contraction and Death. New York: Cambridge UP.
DORIAN, NANCY. Language death : the life cycle of a Scottish Gaelic
dialect. Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, 1981.
JONES, MARI. Language obsolescence and revitalization : linguistic change
in two sociolinguistically contrasting Welsh communities. Oxford [England]
: Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1998.
SCHMIDT, ANNETTE (1985): Young People's Dyirbal. An example of language
death from Australia. Cambridge et al.: University Press, 1985 (= Cambridge
Studies in Linguistics; Supplementary Volume).

Similar behavior:
Yan-nhangu people (Northern Australia)  [dialectal variation]
Zapotecan word order [syntax]
Irish [incomplete acquisition by younger speakers]
Australian languages, no further specification
St'at'imcets (Lillooet, British Columbia) [phonetic variation]

I would like to thank the respondents again for their efforts and timely
answers to my query?you have been incredibly helpful!

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Syntax