17.1094, Jobs: Computational Ling: Language Engineer, InQuira

Tue Apr 11 18:23:06 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-1094. Tue Apr 11 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.1094, Jobs: Computational Ling: Language Engineer, InQuira

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Apr-2006
From: Marc Lie < mlie at inquira.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics/General Linguistics: Language Engineer, InQuira, CA, USA

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:20:49
From: Marc Lie < mlie at inquira.com >

University or Organization: InQuira
Department: Professional Services
Job Rank: Language Engineer
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)

Position: Language Engineer
Date: Immediate
We offer:
- Very competitive salary
- Excellent company stock options and benefits
- Fast-paced and exciting environment
Reporting to: Vice President of Professional Services
Location:	Bay Area, California and New York Metro Area

Responsibilities:

As a Language Engineer in InQuira's Professional Services group, you will
help design and implement Intelligent Search solutions for our customers.
You will work directly with our customers and integration partners to
understand their specific business requirements, and you'll actively
participate in defining the best solutions possible using our intelligent
search and navigation products. You will define, implement and test the
associated grammars, lexicon, and other linguistic knowledge bases. You
will work directly with our technical consultants to help ensure that the
application is properly accessing and retrieving the correct answers to
questions. You may additionally be called upon to test and/or devise
testing environments for linguistic tools that are being developed.

Requirements:
- Must have experience working with Natural Language Processing and/or
Rule-Based Systems
- Bachelor's degree with a major in Applied Math, Computer Science, or
Computational Linguistics
- Advanced degree (M.S., M.A., or Ph.D.) a plus
- Demonstrable programming experience (Java, Perl or C++ preferred), in
areas such as data manipulation, search algorithms, or regular expressions
- Must have extremely strong analytical skills
- Fluent knowledge of the English language and excellent knowledge of
English grammar
- Fluency in at least one non-English language strongly preferred
- Familiarity with Unicode and double-byte languages a plus
- Bachelor's degree with a major or minor in Linguistics, Cognitive Science
or other language-related field
- Fluent knowledge of the English language and an excellent understanding
of English grammar
- Must have consultative skills, including presentation skills, and the
ability to interview clients and actively participate in discussions
- Professional experience interfacing with clients
- Ability to work on multiple projects at any given time
- Must be willing to travel

Company Description:
InQuira is a dynamic and fast-paced organization that maintains an exciting
start-up feel despite continued success.  Our products enable people to
obtain the right information on demand, improving and extending their
ability to interact through the web.  We are well-funded by an impressive
group of financial investors and venture capitalists, are partnered with a
leading consulting organization, have a growing number of Fortune 500
customers and the best technical and management talent in the business. We
are looking for smart, energetic, and creative team members that are ready
and able to build the next generation of intelligent interaction products
and tools.

Address for Applications:

	Senior Manager Marc Lie
	851 Traeger Ave
	Ste 125
	San Bruno, CA 94066
	USA

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

	Marc Lie
	Email: mlie at inquira.com
	Phone: 650-246-5082
	Fax: 650- 246-5036
	Website: http://www.inquira.com

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $52,932. This money will go to help keep the
List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Fund Drive 2006
LINGUIST List Cruise for some Fund Drive fun!

http://linguistlist.org/cruise.html

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form.

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later.

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by
check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:

http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can
receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit
organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against
your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more
information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift
you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human
resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns
to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the
value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment
to check if your company operates such a program.