17.240, All: Obituary: Giuliano Bonfante

LINGUIST List linguist at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Wed Jan 25 17:01:34 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-240. Wed Jan 25 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.240, All: Obituary:  Giuliano Bonfante

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 25-Jan-2006
From: Peter Daniels < "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim at worldnet.att.net> >
Subject: Obituary:  Giuliano Bonfante

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:58:37
From: Peter Daniels < "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim at worldnet.att.net> >

I have just received word from Larissa Bonfante that her father, Giuliano
Bonfante, died in Rome on September 7, 2005, just a month after his 101st
birthday; he was intellectually active until the end.

Bonfante was professor of linguistics at Princeton University in the 1940s and
1950s, and a mainstay of the Linguistic Circle of New York (now the
International Linguistic Association).

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable