17.280, Sum: Loan Verbs

LINGUIST List linguist at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Fri Jan 27 17:17:54 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-280. Fri Jan 27 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.280, Sum: Loan Verbs

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Amy Renaud <renaud at linguistlist.org>

Date: 26-Jan-2006
From: Søren Wichmann < wichmann at eva.mpg.de >
Subject: Loan Verbs

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:08:09
From: Søren Wichmann < wichmann at eva.mpg.de >

Regarding query: http://linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-1674.html#2

On May 29, 2004 (LINGUIST List Vol-15-1674), I posted an inquiry concerning
examples of how verbs get borrowed into different languages. Quite a number
of people responded, for which I am very grateful. Many of the examples
provided, as well as acknowledgments to everyone who responded, appear in a
paper co-authored with my colleague Jan Wohlgemuth. In lieu of a summary I
offer the following link to the manuscript:
http://email.eva.mpg.de/~wichmann/verbborrowing-upload.pdf.  Everyone who
volunteered information is encouraged to check whether they have been
correctly quoted (since the file is searchable relevant names or languages
can easily be found). Please report any errors to me. Wohlgemuth will
continue to work on this topic and maintains a page specifically devoted to
his project: http://www.linguist.de/jw/index.html. Wohlgemuth would very
much appreciate any additional data, which may be volunteered directly
through http://www.linguist.de/jw/loanverb.html.

Linguistic Field(s): Typology