17.697, Sum: Concordance Programs

LINGUIST List linguist at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Tue Mar 7 18:42:33 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-697. Tue Mar 07 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.697, Sum: Concordance Programs

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: James Rider <rider at linguistlist.org>

Date: 06-Mar-2006
From: Chris Coleman < ccoleman at uga.edu >
Subject: Concordance Programs

Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:39:18
From: Chris Coleman < ccoleman at uga.edu >

Regarding query: http://linguistlist.org/issues/17/17-599.html#1

Recently I asked the LINGUIST List for advice about free concordance
programs. Thanks to those who replied; the most pertinent responses are
summarized below:

(1) Maria Giagkou wrote:

Try this link (http://devoted.to/corpora) and click on Software, Tools...
on the left menu. It's an extended list on free concordancers.

(2) Elena Bashir wrote:

I have had good experience with a program called ''Simple Concordance
Program'', which is free and downloadable from:

http://www.textworld.com/scp

It handles ASCII text files, so you need to change other file types to .txt
files.  I don't know whether it can yet handle other types of text, e.g.
Unicode text.

It is easy to use and quick, and gives lots of the kinds of data you
probably want.

(3) Jim Fidelholtz wrote:

...check out the Summer Institute of Linguistics site (should be
www.sil.org, but if not, Google it).  They have lots of programs for
linguists to manipulate text, and, since they are in the Bible-translating
business, it would be amazing if they didn't have most of the programs you
are looking for.  Another source for quick-and-dirty text manipulation
programs, which might require a bit of practice to get used to, is the
CHILDES site, run at Carnegie Mellon by Brian MacWhinney for the study
especially of child language acquisition, but the programs can be used on
any plain text.  The second site has lots of conversion programs, also, in
case, eg, the students turn their work in in Word format, etc.  All
programs (as far as I know and if you don't want printed manuals in the
second case, or a CD/published book in the first case) are free.

(4) Jasper Holmes wrote:

Here at Warwick, we are developing a corpus of student writing
(http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/celte/bawe/) and we hope to get the
funding to build a concordancer based on SketchEngine
(http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/) this summer.

You may be interested in our corpus project for itself, but for a
concordancer, watch this space.

Thanks again to all,
Chris Coleman

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis