17.717, Jobs: Speech Transcription: Speech Transcriber, WA

Wed Mar 8 18:59:56 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-717. Wed Mar 08 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.717, Jobs: Speech Transcription: Speech Transcriber, WA

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-Mar-2006
From: Courtenay Hendricks < cah at butlerhill.com >
Subject: Speech Transcription: Speech Transcriber, Butler Hill Group, WA, USA

Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:55:22
From: Courtenay Hendricks < cah at butlerhill.com >

University or Organization: Butler Hill Group
Job Rank: Speech Transcriber (Native US English speakers only)
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Speech Transcription

The Butler Hill Group, a computational linguistics consulting company, has
an immediate need for several excellent transcribers to transcribe several
hours of children's speech. The children are kindergarten and up, and
reading fluency varies from 'very' to 'not at all' fluent. Transcription
will mostly be orthographic, but mispronunciations & dysfluencies are to be
written out phonemically. Speech is read from written text: the transcriber
would be able to start from a template and make changes as necessary.

Recording quality is good, with a single-channel mic. We would provide
clear transcription guidelines, the template, and a "dictionary" of the
approved phonemic transcriptions of words in the text.

Candidates should be able to commit about 20 hrs/week for 4-6 weeks in
March - April. They must have academic or commercial experience in
linguistic/phonemic transcription, be native-level US English speakers
(with work authorization if US-based), and have excruciatingly
detail-oriented personalities. Our ideal candidate would have proven
experience transcribing children's speech, or working with children.

You will need your own equipment, including listening gear, CD reader and
broadband connection (for receiving data), and transcription software (the
files are wav and the output format is text so you may use any software
that can provide the required format). You'll work from home: physical
location is irrelevant, but you may not work on university-owned equipment
(to avoid IP entanglements) or use any university-provided resources. The
data will be packaged for a Windows system: you may use converters if you
plan to work on a different operating system.

This is for a commercial entity and the results of your work will not be
made publicly available, nor will you be able to use it for your own
research. You will be required to sign a legally binding non-disclosure
agreement.

Interested parties should email a recent resume or CV, with a cover letter
explaining availability and relevant background, to Courtenay Hendricks
(cah at butlerhill.com).

Address for Applications:

	Courtenay Hendricks
	email only, please