17.757, Qs: Resultatives; Neuter and Use for People

Mon Mar 13 22:03:48 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-757. Mon Mar 13 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.757, Qs: Resultatives; Neuter and Use for People

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 13-Mar-2006
From: Matthew Whelpton < whelpton at hi.is >
Subject: Resultatives in English and Icelandic

2)
Date: 13-Mar-2006
From: Ana Tominc < ana_tominc at yahoo.fr >
Subject: Neuter and Its Use for People

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:02:31
From: Matthew Whelpton < whelpton at hi.is >

I am just starting a project comparing the resultative in English and
Icelandic.  I´d be grateful for input on the following:

1. Useful references on resultatives in the Nordic languages (including
Icelandic obviously!)

2. Recent seminal papers on theoretical analysis of resultatives (i.e. post
2000), esp very recent

3. Is the data in the 1993 Levin book ''English Verb Classes and
Alternations'' available in a tractable database form, i.e. queriable by
alternation and verb? I´m assuming there are copyright issues.

Matthew.

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics
                     Syntax