17.832, Qs: Semantic Shift Name;Syntactic Analysis of Sentence

Sat Mar 18 00:12:41 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-832. Fri Mar 17 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.832, Qs: Semantic Shift Name;Syntactic Analysis of Sentence

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: James Rider <rider at linguistlist.org>

Date: 17-Mar-2006
From: Will Fitzgerald < will.fitzgerald at pobox.com >
Subject: Name for a Kind of Semantic Shift (dial, key)

2)
Date: 17-Mar-2006
From: Eduard C. Hanganu < ehanganu at evansville.net >
Subject: Syntactic Analysis of Sentence

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:09:58
From: Will Fitzgerald < will.fitzgerald at pobox.com >

Words like 'to dial' and 'key' and 'album' take on a shifted meaning as the
underlying technology changes. Wordnet, for example, still defines 'to
dial' as something like 'to enter a telephone number using a dial.' Of
course, most dialing now occurs via push-buttons. Similarly, keys are now
often made of a plastic card (or are completely virtual), and an 'album'
can be a CD.

Is there a term of art for this kind of semantic shift?  I've reviewed web
sites on lexicographic change, which recapitulate what I recall from an old
semantics course.

Will Fitzgerald

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     Semantics