17.880, Projects: Learn more about us

Thu Mar 23 17:21:13 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-880. Thu Mar 23 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.880, Projects: Learn more about us

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Tetyana Sydorenko <tanya at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 23-Mar-2006
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Moderator Anthony Aristar on what LINGUIST really does

2)
Date: 23-Mar-2006
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Editor Svetlana Aksenova: my exciting journey

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:17:58
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >

Dear subscribers:

Last week our annual fund drive began.  As you know, one of the main purposes
of the LINGUIST List is to disseminate information to the linguistic community.
We do this for free:  all of the information we post on our site is available to
anyone who cares to see it.

Frankly, this takes a lot of money:  though the linguistic faculty who serve
LINGUIST work for free, the students who do most of the work need to be paid,
since that's how they support their studies.

But what perhaps most of you don't know is that there is much more going on at
LINGUIST than you may realize.  LINGUIST is not just an information source:
it has actively been doing research in defining the standards that good linguistic
work on the Internet needs to follow, and running projects that are adding to
linguistic infrastructure and information on the web.  These projects had been
funded by the National Science Foundation, so the work that developed them was
provided for.  But the NSF does not provide for the maintenance of what these
projects produced, and this maintenance has now fallen squarely on the LINGUIST
List, as the organization that did the work.  It would be a tragedy if all this
material disappeared because the cost of keeping it available was prohibitive.

But if we're to maintain these projects, we have no choice but to ask for your
help, in the form of donations to LINGUIST. It may help to know a little about
the things we did. Here's a list of some of them.

The E-MELD project (http://emeld.org):  This project is ending this year. It was
designed to work towards defining standards for linguistic data on the Internet,
and in particular to encourage through such work the preservation of endangered
languages data.  One of its major products was the School of Best Practice
(http://emeld.org/school/), which is designed to provide an easy source of information
on data standards and on how to preserve linguistic data in a digital world.  It
includes detailed explanations of how different kinds of data were digitized.  It
also includes Ask-an-Expert, which is a service through which linguists can ask
those who have the right kind of expertise to answer technical problems related
to data conversion and preservation, and virtual meeting places for speakers of
endangered languages to congregate. E-MELD also produced the first linguistic
ontologies – both morphosyntactic and phonetic – to be created,
as well as tools designed to aid field linguists in their work.

The DATA project (http://qenaga.org/):  This project also ends this year.
Its purpose was to digitize the Dena'ina data that the Alaska Native
Language Center had in its archives and make it available to the Dena'ina
community and linguists in an annotated form.  It also served to train students
in how to do field work and how to archive linguistic material.

The ALL Language Project (http://linguistlist.org/people/personal/):  This was a
project the purpose of which was to collect as complete a database as possible of
linguists, along with their specializations and the languages upon which they work.

The Multilist Project (http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives):  This was a
project to collect in one place archives of as many linguistic lists as possible,
and to offer free hosting to any group of linguists that needs access to mailing
list software.  We now archive well over a 100 linguistic lists on our site.

You can see that maintaining such a wealth of material can be quite labor-intensive.
We need to make sure that the work these past projects of ours produced stays
available, and is updated, so that it stays useful and relevant.

We can only do this if you donate to LINGUIST, for it's your donations that provide
the support that makes such maintenance possible.   You can do this easily at the URL:

http://www.linguistlist.org/donation/

Your support will be greatly appreciated!

We would love to do more such projects, and we already have two or three in the works.
One is a publicly accessible database of all known language relationships, with a full
bibliographical database.  And another is a geographical database of linguistic data,
capable of generating maps containing many different layers of information.

But you'll be hearing more of these in future years if you make sure that LINGUIST
goes from strength to strength.  Meanwhile, we just need to make sure that we do not
throw away what we already have!

Sincerely,
Anthony