17.1339, Jobs: General Ling: Programmer, North Side Inc.

Mon May 1 20:13:28 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-1339. Mon May 01 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.1339, Jobs: General Ling: Programmer, North Side Inc.

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 29-Apr-2006
From: Eugene Joseph < eugene at northsideinc.com >
Subject: General Linguistics:  Programmer, North Side Inc., Montreal, Canada

Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 16:08:00
From: Eugene Joseph < eugene at northsideinc.com >

University or Organization: North Side Inc.
Job Rank: Programmer
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)

North Side Inc., based in Montreal, Canada, is developing technology to
enable free-form natural-language based interaction. As such, we focus on
deep semantic understanding of English.

Educational requirements:  we are looking for a person that has minimally
an M.Sc. degree ( Ph.D. preferred) in Computational Linguistics. Relevant
work experience will be considered in lieu of Ph.D.

Work responsibilities:  software development in one of the two areas:

Applications:
1. Automatic acquisition of world knowledge and lexical-semantic
information through corpus mining
2.  Natural Language Generation for interactive man-machine dialogues,
based on a cognitive model of the user (her/his goals, current problems in
dialogue, current emotional state, current domain knowledge, errors made
during dialogue, etc. )

Background requirements: Our development environment is Java, SQL, XML,
Python, Linux and Windows, so familiarity with this environment is expected.

Other background requirements: Cognitive user modeling, dialogue
management, pragmatics for candidates interested to work in Natural
Language Generation.

Method of application: by e-mail to eugene at northsideinc.com

Documentation required: diplomas and/or proof of previous employment.

Address for Applications:

Eugene Joseph
PO Box 122
Snowdon Station
Montreal, Quebec H3X 3T3
Canada

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

Eugene Joseph
Email: eugene at northsideinc.com
Phone: 514-935-4566