17.1342, Qs: Ideas for a Programming Class?

Tue May 2 11:58:07 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-1342. Tue May 02 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.1342, Qs: Ideas for a Programming Class?

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: James Rider <rider at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-May-2006
From: David Iannucci < yvathvfgyvfg at punchcutter.ml1.net >
Subject: Ideas for a Programming Class?

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 07:56:17
From: David Iannucci < yvathvfgyvfg at punchcutter.ml1.net >

This summer I will be teaching a class in Perl programming
to linguistics students.  It will not be focused on NLP, but
rather on ''general linguistic informatics'', i.e. the sort of
computing tasks that mainstream linguists of any sort might
be likely to be engaged in.

I've never taught something like this before and I'm not
*entirely* sure what sort of computing tasks mainstream
linguists are engaged in :-)  I'm looking for ideas for the
sort of algorithms and ''meta-content'' that would be good
to include in such a course.  What sort of interesting
computing have you done in your own work?  What have you
struggled with, and perhaps wished you had had a programmer
to help with?  Have you had an idea for a research direction
that never materialized because you weren't sure how to
handle the computing aspect of it?

I look forward to hearing your responses, and of course
will summarize back to LINGUIST.

David J. Iannucci
University of Utah

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics