17.1352, Disc: Recursion; Research Standards for Promotion/Tenure

Tue May 2 19:48:53 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-1352. Tue May 02 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.1352, Disc: Recursion; Research Standards for Promotion/Tenure

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-May-2006
From: Oren Sadeh Leicht < oren.sadehleicht at let.uu.nl >
Subject: Problems with Recent Proposals on Recursion & FLN

2)
Date: 26-Apr-2006
From: Regina Morin < rmorin at tcnj.edu >
Subject: Reasonable Research Standards

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 15:45:29
From: Oren Sadeh Leicht < oren.sadehleicht at let.uu.nl >

I think saying that the claim of recursion being a single essential trait
of human language has no content confuses a few points.

Human language, under Chomsky's view (and I guess Hauser and Fitch, too),
is regarded as a mental state, part of the human mind, or I-language.
Recursion is a property of human minds, not necessarily found in (E-)languages.

Thus it is perfectly logical to assert that a language may lack recursion.
It may still be learned (perhaps badly) by recursion which is in the mind
of humans beings, but not in the langauge itself.

Linguistic Field(s): Philosophy of Language