17.1548, FYI: Survey: Computer and Internet-Assisted Language Learning

Fri May 19 15:51:06 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-1548. Fri May 19 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.1548, FYI: Survey: Computer and Internet-Assisted Language Learning

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Svetlana Aksenova <svetlana at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-May-2006
From: Francisco Gallardo del Puerto < fibgadef at vc.ehu.es >

Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:47:12
From: Francisco Gallardo del Puerto < fibgadef at vc.ehu.es >

TEACHERS:

If you are a language teacher, I hope you will be willing to take a few
moments to help us!

I am writing as a member of the COVCELL Project Team (see end of message for
Project description).

We are running a survey of attitudes to computer and internet-assisted language
learning to guide and support our development of online functionality to support
collaboration and communication in language teaching through the internet. If
you have a few moments to share your own views, it would be a great help. You
can find the survey at:

http://covcell.org/q/T02.html

We are also very keen to get the views of your students! If you could also get
your students to take our language students´ survey that would be extremely
helpful! You can find the student survey at:

http://covcell.org/q/S01.html

The survey is available in: Basque, English, German, Icelandic, Italian and Spanish.

Many thanks in advance for your attention and support!

COVCELL Project Description: The COVCELL (Cohort-Oriented Virtual Campus for
Enhanced Language Learning ) project is a 2-year European project (Minerva fund)
dedicated to enhancing the language learning/teaching functionalities available
within the learning management system, Moodle. Many exciting developments are
currently underway in the field of online and computer-assisted learning - and
in the development of Moodle in particular - but we wish to see that the needs
of language teachers and learners are not forgotten and that attention is given
to their specific needs. We are running this survey to give the wider language
education community the chance to express their views on computer-assisted
language learning and the results of this survey will form an important part of
our submission to the European Union on the project´s completion. It will also
influence our own regularly updated programming goals and priorities (we have an
"agile development" approach to programming which means that code is regularly
assessed against user needs and feedback).

We do hope that you will be able to spare a moment to support us and give us
your views.

Many thanks!

Francisco Gallardo del Puerto
University Of the Basque Country, Spain.

                     Language Acquisition