17.1578, FYI: Bursary for Forensic Linguistics Summer School

Wed May 24 14:02:36 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-1578. Wed May 24 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.1578, FYI: Bursary for Forensic Linguistics Summer School

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Svetlana Aksenova <svetlana at linguistlist.org>

Date: 23-May-2006
From: Malcolm Coulthard < m.coulthard at aston.ac.uk >

Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:00:58
From: Malcolm Coulthard < m.coulthard at aston.ac.uk >

The Phill Newbury Bursary for 2006

Phill Newbury was in his second year as a doctoral student, writing his
thesis on courtroom interaction, when he died suddenly, from an undiagnosed
'chronic disorder of the heart muscle'.  Phill's friends, relatives,
teachers and fellow-students have contributed very generously to set up a
fund in his name, to award an annual bursary to a postgraduate student.
Each year the bursary will be used for a different purpose, but each
related to something academic that Phill would have wanted to spend money on.

Last year Phill was unable, due to lack of funds, to attend the
International Summer School in Forensic Linguistic Analysis, in Lodz,
Poland, but he was determined to attend this year's summer school,
www.forensiclinguistics.net, which will be hosted at his home university,
Aston, in his home city, Birmingham, England.  Phill's mother, Sue, felt it
would therefore be appropriate to use this year's bursary to help another
postgraduate student to attend the summer school.  The bursary will cover
the tuition fees, £360, although the successful student will still have to
pay for their own travel and accommodation.

If you, (or one of your students, if you are a teacher yourself), wish to
apply for this bursary, please send a 200-300 word letter to me as an
e-attachment, stating what you are currently doing, how you became
interested in forensic linguistics and why you want to attend the summer
school.  Sue and I will jointly decide to whom the bursary will be awarded.

Closing date Friday June 16th.

Linguistic Field(s): Forensic Linguistics