17.3341, Qs: Verb Inflections

Wed Nov 15 20:23:48 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-3341. Wed Nov 15 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.3341, Qs: Verb Inflections

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project / Long Now Foundation

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 15-Nov-2006
From: Fatima Basaffar < basafarf at hotmail.com >
Subject: Verb Inflections

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:22:11
From: Fatima Basaffar < basafarf at hotmail.com >

Hello Everyone,

I'm working on the acquisition of verb inflections in Arabic by 2-4 years
old children. I'm at the data collection stage.

Since Arabic is a highly inflected language, it didn't prove to be an easy
task to elicit all verb inflections required. I'm using both naturalistic
and experimental methods in which I have  pair of pictures, a picture story
and a 3 minutes video-clip presenting cartoon figures performing actions.
The problem I'm facing  is in eliciting the 1st and 2nd person. How can I
get the child to produce the 1st person inflections in the past, present
and future  (singular and plural) and 2nd person inflection in the past,
present and future (male, female and plural).

Does anyone know of a method that can help me in eliciting these
inflections?

Thanks,
Fatima

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis