17.3449, Qs: SEE and CAUSE

Thu Nov 23 02:53:50 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-3449. Wed Nov 22 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.3449, Qs: SEE and CAUSE

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project / Long Now Foundation

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-Nov-2006
From: Jean-Charles Khalifa < jck at ricky.univ-poitiers.fr >
Subject: SEE and CAUSE

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:52:02
From: Jean-Charles Khalifa < jck at ricky.univ-poitiers.fr >

Dear all,

Still working on the fuzzy boundary between causatives and perception
verbs, I have started looking at the English SEE-construction in examples
like :

She saw him to the door
They saw her home
I'll see you to the airport
See a book through

I was wondering

1) whether there has been any in-depth work at all, in any framework, on
such constructions
2) whether there were languages exhibiting such meanings with verbs
meaning SEE or any other perception verb.

Thanks in advance, I'll post a summary if need be.

Jean-Charles Khalifa
University of Poitiers, France

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics
                     Syntax