17.2878, Books: Sociolinguistics: Smith

Wed Oct 4 13:40:39 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-2878. Wed Oct 04 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.2878, Books: Sociolinguistics: Smith

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project / Long Now Foundation

Editor for this issue: Maria Moreno-Rollins <maria at linguistlist.org>

Links to the websites of all LINGUIST's supporting publishers
are available at the end of this issue.

Date: 05-Apr-2006
From: Elizabeth Gangeri < Elizabeth.Gangeri at erlbaum.com >
Subject: Ourselves: Smith

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:39:37
From: Elizabeth Gangeri < Elizabeth.Gangeri at erlbaum.com >

Title: Ourselves
Subtitle: Why We Are Who We Are
Publication Year: 2006
Publisher: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates
	   http://www.erlbaum.com/

Author: Frank Smith

Hardback: ISBN: 0805859543 Pages: 136 Price: U.S. $ 49.95
Paperback: ISBN: 0805859551 Pages: 136 Price: U.S. $ 19.95

Abstract:

This book delves into how we come to terms with ourselves, with other
people, and with the world in general. It is about how we come to be what
we are, and to think the way we do. It is a book about influences on this
process. A particular influence to which Smith gives central consideration
is language, not just in terms of the communicative networks in which it
engages us--the "information" that presents itself to us--but in the
largely unsuspected framework for thought that lies within language itself.
He also considers deeply the role of technology.

This is a book of description, not of explanations--these are two quite
different intellectual territories. Smith writes about what can be
observed, not philosophized about. Thus he does not discuss the inner
workings of the human brain. His claim is that what he is interested
in--thinking, learning, understanding, remembering--have never been found
in the brain.  The aim is to describe the scope and limits for how we can
be seen to think, learn, understand, and remember--but not to "explain"
such behavior by recourse to hypothetical inner entities.

"Ourselves" speaks especially to educators. It outlines the possibilities
and limitations inherent in all of us. It delineates who we are, but also
stresses that no two people are the same, that what we become depends on
our journeys in life and the people we encounter on the way. The formal
part of learning that is called education is particularly sensitive to the
role of people who organize critical experiences for us, our teachers. The
brief summaries at the end of each chapter reinforce and highlight points
that are of particular relevance to teachers. Researchers, professionals,
and graduate students across the fields of literacy education, psychology
of reading, learning theory, human learning, educational psychology, and
psycholinguistics will find this book compelling.

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/get-book.html?BookID=18938

MAJOR SUPPORTERS

	Blackwell Publishing
		http://www.blackwellpublishing.com

	Cambridge University Press
		http://us.cambridge.org

	Cascadilla Press
		http://www.cascadilla.com/

	Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd
		http://www.continuumbooks.com

	Edinburgh University Press
		http://www.eup.ed.ac.uk/

	Equinox Publishing Ltd.
		http://www.equinoxpub.com/

	European Language Resources Association - ELRA
		http://www.elda.org/sommaire.php

	Georgetown University Press
		http://www.press.georgetown.edu

	Hodder Arnold
		http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk

	John Benjamins
		http://www.benjamins.com/

	Lawrence Erlbaum Associates
		http://www.erlbaum.com/

	Lincom GmbH
		http://www.lincom.at

	MIT Press
		http://mitpress.mit.edu/

	Mouton de Gruyter
		http://www.mouton-publishers.com

	Multilingual Matters
		http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

	Oxford University Press
		http://www.oup.com/us

	Palgrave Macmillan
		http://www.palgrave.com

	Rodopi
		http://www.rodopi.nl/

	Routledge (Taylor and Francis)
		http://www.routledge.com/

	Springer
		http://www.springer.com

OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

	Anthropological Linguistics
		http://www.indiana.edu/~anthling/

	CSLI Publications
		http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/

	Graduate Linguistic Students' Assoc.   Umass
		http://glsa.hypermart.net/

	International Pragmatics Assoc.
		http://www.ipra.be

	Kingston Press Ltd
		http://www.kingstonpress.com/

	Linguistic Assoc. of Finland
		http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/

	MIT Working Papers in Linguistics
		http://web.mit.edu/mitwpl/

	Muurrbay Aboriginal Language and Culture Co-operative Ltd.
		www.muurrbay.org.au

	Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics / Landelijke
		http://www.lotpublications.nl/

	Pacific Linguistics
		http://pacling.anu.edu.au/

	Peter Lang AG