17.3082, FYI: Conlang Books Project

Fri Oct 20 14:44:26 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-3082. Fri Oct 20 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.3082, FYI: Conlang Books Project

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project / Long Now Foundation

Editor for this issue: Amy Renaud <renaud at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Oct-2006
From: Sai Emrys < conlangs at saizai.com >
Subject: Conlang Books Project

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:39:06
From: Sai Emrys < conlangs at saizai.com >

Hello, everyone.

The Conlang Books Project has recently started. Its goal is to produce two
books about language creation.

The first is a linguistics textbook, beginning/intermediate level, to teach
linguistics implicitly (and explicitly) by guiding the reader through the
creation of a new language of their own. The target audience is: intro
linguistics & general ed college students; creative writing students;
general linguaphiles and linguists; professional novelists & game
designers; and of course conlangers.

The second is a book of advanced essays about language creation
(conlanging), encompassing philosophy, technique, and artistry. The target
audience is about the same, but assumes an existing knowledge of basic
linguistics (as taught, e.g., by the first book).

This is a call for contributors & authors.

If you are interested, please see
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/conlang-books/web/links and read the
Overview and Style Guide for a concise summary of our approach (as it
differs significantly from the standard version); you can join the
discussion group from that page as well. Of course you are welcome to
contact me at the email below with any questions.

Some specific topics that we want to cover:

For the textbook: linguistic universals, sound systems, signed systems,
writing systems, morphology, syntax, semantics, vocabulary generation,
language change & acquisition / diachronic linguistics, pragmatics, some
cognitive linguistics; etc.

For the essays: history of conlanging; Sapir-Whorf applicability /
testability; fluency; popularization & spread of new languages; sociology
of conlanging; advanced sign language techniques; semantic primes; advanced
diachronics & language families creation; review of unusual linguistic
features ([split] ergativity, trigger systems, etc); advanced
phonaesthetics & other linguistic aesthetics; differences between necessary
linguistic universals and universals-by-happenstance; nonlinear language;
etc. These are not absolutes, and other suggestions for essay topics will
certainly be considered.

As a side note, you may also be interested in the Language Creation
Conference; more info on that can be found at http://conlangs.berkeley.edu
or by contacting me.

Thanks,
 Sai