17.2655, Qs: Case/Agreement Systems

Mon Sep 18 16:20:13 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-2655. Mon Sep 18 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.2655, Qs: Case/Agreement Systems

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project / Long Now Foundation

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 16-Sep-2006
From: Pritty Patel < pritty_kerai at hotmail.com >
Subject: Case/Agreement Systems

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:16:21
From: Pritty Patel < pritty_kerai at hotmail.com >

Hi,

I am a student at UCL and am working on case/agreement mismatches. I am
currently looking for languages which may have one of the case/agreement
systems given below:

Language Type	             Case	                  Agreement
	                  Imperfective Perfective	   Imperfective	Perfective
Type 1	               erg/abs	     erg/abs	         erg/abs	nom/acc
Type 2	               erg/abs	     nom/acc	       erg/abs	      nom/acc
Type 3	               erg/abs	     nom/acc	       erg/abs	        erg/abs

In language type 1, the case pattern is ergative/absolutive regardless of
the aspect.  In the imperfective, the agreement pattern is
ergative/absolutive but in the perfective, the agreement pattern is
nominative/accusative.

In language type 2, there is a split in both the case and agreement system.
 In the imperfective, both the case and agreement pattern are
ergative/absolutive.  In the perfective however, the case/agreement pattern
is nominative/accusative.

In language type 3, the split is absent from the case system but present in
the agreement system.  in both the imperfective and perfective aspect, the
agreement pattern is ergative/absolutive.  In the the perfective, the case
pattern is nominative/accusative, and in the imperfective, ergative/absolutive.

If you know of a language which may have one of the above case/agreement
systems, I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

With best wishes --Pritty Patel

Linguistic Field(s): Typology