17.2734, Sum: English Affect Word-List

Mon Sep 25 08:43:53 UTC 2006

LINGUIST List: Vol-17-2734. Mon Sep 25 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 17.2734, Sum: English Affect Word-List

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project / Long Now Foundation

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-Sep-2006
From: Brian Murphy < brian.murphy at cs.tcd.ie >
Subject: English Affect Word-List

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 04:43:02
From: Brian Murphy < brian.murphy at cs.tcd.ie >

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 17.2582

Regarding Query:  http://linguistlist.org/issues/17/17-2582.html#1

First of all, thanks to all that contributed: Maite Taboada, Aubrey Nunes,
Nora Wiedenmann, Elena Bashir and Cynthia Girand.

Aubrey Nunes and Nora Wiedenmann pointed out phonological patterns in
English (e.g. shlep, slink) and German (e.g. Schlampe, Klampfe) that
correlate with negative connotations.

Maite Taboada pointed me to an online discussion group on the computational
treatment of sentiment/affect
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/SentimentAI/), which hosts several
hand-crafted lists, including her own, based on Martin and White's (2005)

Cynthia Girand directed me Cynthia Whissel's Dictionary of Affect
(Laurentian University). This is the most comprehensive resource I have
found with more than 8000 English words. Each word has been experimentally
examined, and carries an average value for elicited human judgements of
pleasantness, activation and imagery. The dictionary is freely available
for non-commercial academic purposes.

Incidentally, I didn't make my purposes clear in the initial posting. I am
interested in argument structure realisation, and the fact that some
patterns involve advantage (e.g. beneficial ''for'' in English) or
disadvantage (e.g. the Chinese bei construction) to an event participant. I
am trying to establish the strength of these effects from corpus data.

Thanks again,

Brian Murphy
Trinity College Dublin

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science