18.1185, Media: TED Video: Cultures at the Far Edge of the World

Thu Apr 19 16:41:45 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1185. Thu Apr 19 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1185, Media: TED Video:  Cultures at the Far Edge of the World

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 17-Apr-2007
From: Karen Chung < karchung at ntu.edu.tw >
Subject: TED Video:  Cultures at the Far Edge of the World

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:37:33
From: Karen Chung < karchung at ntu.edu.tw >

There is an excellent video on the 'TED: Ideas worth spreading' site of a
talk entitled 'Cultures at the far edge of the world', delivered by Wade
Davis. You may want to check out some of the other amazing videos as well
while you are there. Registration is optional. The URL:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/69

About the Talk:

With stunning photos and stories, National Geographic Explorer Wade Davis
celebrates the diversity of the world's indigenous cultures, now
disappearing from the planet at an alarming rate. He argues passionately
that we should be concerned not only for preserving the biosphere, but also
the 'ethnosphere' -- 'the sum total of all thoughts and dreams, myths,
ideas, inspirations, intuitions brought into being by the human imagination.'

About TED (from their site):

TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design. It started out (in 1984)
as a conference bringing together people from those three worlds. ... The
annual conference now brings together the world's most fascinating thinkers
and doers, who are challenged to give the talk of their lives (in 18
minutes). This site makes the best talks and performances from TED
available to the public, for free. More than 60 talks from our archive are
now available, with more added each week. These videos are released under a
Creative Commons license, so they can be freely shared and reposted

Karen Chung
National Taiwan University

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics