18.1236, Qs: Marker for Direct Objects; Contour-Tone-Only Languages?

Mon Apr 23 20:11:47 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1236. Mon Apr 23 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1236, Qs: Marker for Direct Objects; Contour-Tone-Only Languages?

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Apr-2007
From: Giorgio Iemmolo < giorgio.iemmolo at gmail.com >
Subject: Marker for Direct Objects

2)
Date: 20-Apr-2007
From: Jennifer Alexander < jenalex at northwestern.edu >
Subject: Contour-Tone-Only Languages?

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:10:29
From: Giorgio Iemmolo < giorgio.iemmolo at gmail.com >

Dear linguists,

I am working on differential object marking in Gallo-siculo dialects of
Sicily, that are nothern italian dialects spoken in central-eastern Sicily.
In all Romance languages, except Rumanian that use ''pe'', the marker for
definite objects is the preposition ''a'' (with the meaning of ''motion to,
recipient'')  likewise in Sicilian. But, in Gallosiculo dialects I found
the prepositions ''da'', used in Italian with the meaning of ''motion
from'' or express passive agent.

Does anyone know a language that has grammaticalized a preposition with
similar meanings to mark direct object? I found only an example, in Shughnu
(spoken in Tagikistan), where the marker arises from an originary ablative
particle.

I will appreciate any hint

Giorgio Iemmolo

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax