18.1276, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Senior Scientist, Cataphora

Thu Apr 26 22:33:56 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1276. Thu Apr 26 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1276, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Senior Scientist, Cataphora

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 25-Apr-2007
From: Steve Roberts < steve at cataphora.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Senior Scientist, Cataphora, Redwood City, CA USA

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:30:40
From: Steve Roberts < steve at cataphora.com >

Department: R&D
Web Address: http://www.cataphora.com

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

We are looking for extremely talented and creative individuals to expand on
and improve our suite of data analysis techniques and our core behavioral
analysis technologies. If you have the qualities we are looking for, this
is excellent opportunity to get in on the rapid growth stage in a clearly
successful and aggressively expanding pre-IPO company. One of the best
things about working at Cataphora is the sheer variety and scale of the
technical problems that are brought to us. We have no shortage of
substantive real world problems, all with high levels of importance and
visibility to our clients.

Cataphora is an award winning, employee-owned software company providing
technology and services for high end litigations and investigations. Its
customers include Fortune 500 companies, governmental agencies, and top
American law firms. We pride ourselves on having been funded from the start
entirely by revenues, with no venture capital investment.

Job Description

As a member of the Core Technologies Group, you will be joining an R&D
group aggressively seeking to expand our IP portfolio. This group both
pursues long term technical development goals as well as creatively
responding to challenging requirements brought in via our case work. We
strongly believe that it is important to not lose focus on either side and
that ultimately each side informs the other. A broad range of approaches
are used including: social network analysis, statistics, mathematics,
information retrieval and computational linguistics.

What We Expect You to Do

- Propose and implement novel technological approaches to advance long term
goals
- Provide analytical support for ongoing customer projects
- Provide technical leadership and education within engineering on the
application of our core technology
- Actively contribute to our patent portfolio and documentation of IP
- Shape future technical direction of Cataphora products

What We Expect You to Bring

- A good balance of experience between practical software development and
research work
- Substantial, relevant, technical expertise in any of several areas such
as Language Engineering, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, Large
Scale Distributed Systems and so on
- An ability to solve difficult problems with evolving requirements under
demanding time constraints
- Flexibility in approaches used and the judgment to choose well between them
- Willingness to work within an empirical, data driven development process
- A belief that there is always a better way

What You Can Expect to Gain

- The art of success. The level we have reached as a bootstrap startup
without having had need for any capital investment is probably
unprecedented for a software company. We are committed to internal
education and openness to our employees about every step of the process
- Experience working with a wide range of technologies and theoretical
approaches, in very large data environments with large scale distributed
systems
- Access to a quantity and range of corpus data that is almost unparalleled
- Work that matters. We have a business focus demanding sophisticated
analysis of the data and clients for whom the results are important

Note: You must have U.S. citizenship, permanent residency, or be able to
obtain a visa with authorization to work in the United States. We will
sponsor visas where appropriate.

To apply, please send your resume (inline preferred; RTF, Word Doc or PDF
otherwise) to:
work+sr22 at cataphora.com.