18.1280, FYI: New Mailing List: R-lang

Fri Apr 27 16:56:57 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1280. Fri Apr 27 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 27-Apr-2007
From: Roger Levy < rlevy at ucsd.edu >

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:54:03
From: Roger Levy < rlevy at ucsd.edu >

More and more linguists, psycholinguists, and computational linguists
are using R as their data processing/statistical analysis software of
choice.  To serve and encourage the further growth of this community, a
number of us have gotten together and started a new mailing list devoted
to analysis and modeling of language data using R, called R-lang.

You can subscribe to R-lang at the following URL:

We envision the list as serving several purposes:

1) as a place to share know-how about R and practical tricks and tips on
how to deal with issues specific to linguistic data in R.

2) as a locus for discussions and advice about statistical techniques
applied to linguistic data in general -- both experts giving advice to
beginners on basic questions, and experts interacting with other experts
regarding more advanced issues.

3) as a way of spreading awareness and interest in
probabilistic/statistical approaches to linguistics, and more advanced
methods among those who are already using statistics.

We have organized an ''R-lang core group'' of researchers experienced in
using R for language data analysis and modeling, including:

Harald Baayen (Nijmegen)
Marco Baroni (Trento)
Joan Bresnan (Stanford)
Stefan Evert (Osnabrueck)
Stefan Th. Gries (UCSB)
T. Florian Jaeger (Rochester)
Roger Levy (UCSD)
David Reitter (Edinburgh)
Jan Strunk (Bochum)
Shravan Vasishth (Potsdam)
Francesco Vespignani (Trento)
Kie Zuraw (UCLA)

We hope that you will also participate!

Yours truly,

the R-lang core group

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Psycholinguistics
                     Text/Corpus Linguistics