18.1289, All: Obituary: Karl V. Teeter

Fri Apr 27 22:03:25 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1289. Fri Apr 27 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1289, All: Obituary: Karl V. Teeter

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 23-Apr-2007
From: Philip LeSourd < plesourd at indiana.edu >
Subject: Obituary: Karl V. Teeter

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:01:04
From: Philip LeSourd < plesourd at indiana.edu >

I am sad to report that Karl V. Teeter, Emeritus Professor of Linguistics at
Harvard University, died on April 20 at his home in Cambridge,
Massachusetts. He was born on March 2, 1929, and thus was 78 at the time
of his death. Karl was best known for the fieldwork that he conducted with
two Algic languages on opposite sides of the North American continent:
Wiyot in California and Maliseet in New Brunswick. In the case of Wiyot, he
worked with the last speaker of the language, Della Prince. The results of
his work on Wiyot were published in The Wiyot Language (University of
California Press Publications in Linguistics 37, 1964) and in his two-volume
Wiyot Handbook (Algonquian and Iroquoian Linguistics Memoirs 10 and 11,
1993). A volume of Maliseet texts that he recorded in 1963, Tales from
Maliseet Country: The Maliseet Texts of Karl V. Teeter (edited by Philip
LeSourd), has recently appeared from the University of Nebraska Press.

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable