18.2380, Sum: Me and John Can Do It

Admin LL linguist at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Thu Aug 9 15:38:24 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2380. Thu Aug 09 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2380, Sum: Me and John Can Do It

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-Aug-2007
From: Lee Hartman < lhartman at siu.edu >
Subject: Me and John Can Do It

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:37:00
From: Lee Hartman [lhartman at siu.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2380.html&submissionid=153421&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 18.2287

I inquired about ''objective'' pronoun case in English conjoined subjects
(''Me and John can do it''), trying to locate a specific article on this topic.

I thank Suzanne Aalberse, John Atkinson, Eric Bakovic, Michael Covington,
David Denison, Stefan Dyla, Hans Enger, Susan Fischer, Joe Foster, Scott
Jackson, James Lavine, Guy Modica, Paula Newman, Frederick Newmeyer, Carson
Schütze, Graham Shorrocks, Bruce Spencer, John te Velde, and Joshua Viau
for their informative replies to my query.  David Denison sent the most
extensive list of sources.

Two of the respondents offered their services as native-speaking informants
of the dialect in question.  I am grateful for the offers, but I estimate
that ''me-and-John'' speakers are abundant, if not a majority of the
population, in the region where I live (Southern Illinois), as well as in
most other parts of the U.S.A.

I will list the bibliographic references that they sent me.  I think only
one item -- Emonds 1986 -- was cited by more than one respondent, and that
was cited by five of them.  I have yet to determine which item is the one I
was seeking.

Thanks to all.  I hereby relinquish any further ''claim'' on this topic, in
favor of anyone who has more time and expertise than I do to research it.
Him or her can do it.