18.2390, FYI: International Linguistic Olympiad

Fri Aug 10 21:35:20 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2390. Fri Aug 10 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2390, FYI: International Linguistic Olympiad

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Fatemeh Abdollahi <fatemeh at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Aug-2007
From: Tatiana Lando < tatiana.lando at gmail.com >
Subject: International Linguistic Olympiad

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:34:21
From: Tatiana Lando [tatiana.lando at gmail.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2390.html&submissionid=153581&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

On 4.08.2007 the 5th International Linguistics Olympiad for high school
students finished in Saint-Petersburg, Russia.

The individual contest was won by Adam Hesterberg (USA) and Lukasz Cegiela
(Poland), who were awarded First Degree Diplomas. Among ten others students
awarded Second and Third Degree Diplomas, five are from Russia, three from
Bulgaria, and two from Estonia.

In the team contest two First Degree Diplomas were awarded to the team of
the USA (Rebecca Jacobs, Joshua Falk, Michael Gottlieb and Anna
Tchetchetkine ) and Russian team (Kira Kiranova, Sergey Malyshev, Elizaveta
Rebrova and Ivan Smurov).

The detailed results are posted on the official web site of the Olympiad:
http://ilolympiad.spb.ru

The International Linguistics Olympiad is a yearly event in which secondary
school students compete by solving linguistics problems, mostly in
languages they have never learned. This year there were problems in
Braille, Turkish, Tatar, Georgian, Movima (Bolivia), Hawaiian and others.

Altogether in the 5th Olympiad participated 15 teams (4 teenagers in each)
from 9 countries (Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Netherlands, Poland, Russia,
Spain, Sweden, USA). The teams from Spain and the USA competed in the
International Linguistics Olympiad for the first time. And we are glad to
congratulate both US teams on such a splendid debut.

All teams were gathered through national Olympiads or competitions, carried
out mostly by Linguistic centers in the named countries.

place in august 2008 in Bulgaria, exact place and date to be announced.
We encourage all the Linguistics Centers, University Departments etc to
participate in the Olympiad and we are ready to provide help in organizing
national competitions.

Please fill free to contact us on any questions.

Tatiana Lando,
member of organizing committee
tatiana.lando at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable