18.2461, Qs: Hunter-gatherer Language Groups List

Wed Aug 22 15:04:46 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2461. Wed Aug 22 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2461, Qs: Hunter-gatherer Language Groups List

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-Aug-2007
From: Patrick McConvell < patrick.mcconvell at aiatsis.gov.au >
Subject: Hunter-gatherer Language Groups List

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:03:27
From: Patrick McConvell [patrick.mcconvell at aiatsis.gov.au]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2461.html&submissionid=154504&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

A group of us are editing a book on Hunter-Gatherer languages. We are
looking for any list that may have been compiled of hunter-gatherer
language groups with the intention of being comprehensive or nearly so, for
the world or continents etc. We would be glad to receive any such lists or
references. If we cannot find such a list we may have to try to compile one
ourselves. Guided by the Ethnographic Map work stemming originally from
Murdock we were thinking of using the following definitional criteria for
'hunter-gatherer' for our purposes:
'Any language group which has been 85% or more reliant on any combination
of hunting, food-gathering and/or fishing for at least 100 years in the
last 500 years' (ie we are interested at the moment in recent, not ancient,
hunter-gatherers). Any comments on this definition would be gratefully
received. We are looking at for some criteria which can be easily
operationalised.

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics