18.2514, Jobs: German & Dutch & Comp Ling: Comp Linguist, Business Objects

Tue Aug 28 15:03:45 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2514. Tue Aug 28 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2514, Jobs: German & Dutch & Comp Ling: Comp Linguist, Business Objects

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 27-Aug-2007
From: Michael Wiesner < mwiesner at businessobjects.com >
Subject: German, Standard; Dutch & Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Business Objects, Boston, MA, USA

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:01:47
From: Michael Wiesner [mwiesner at businessobjects.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2514.html&submissionid=154944&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Business Objects
Department: Text Analytics
Web Address: http://www.businessobjects.com

Job Rank: Computational Linguist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Required Language(s): Dutch (nld)
                      German, Standard (deu)

With more than 39,000 customers worldwide, including over 80 percent of the
Fortune 500, Business Objects helps organizations gain better insight into
their business, improve decision making, and optimize enterprise
performance. We provide leading software for reporting, query and analysis,
performance management, analytic applications and enterprise information
management, and the consulting and customer support services to ensure our
customers' success.

The Text Analytics team is part of the Business Objects product development
group that focuses on the development of Natural Language Processing (NLP)
platform and Information Extraction technologies. Based in Boston, MA, the
Text Analytics team combines the talents of computational linguists and
skilled software engineers to deliver a high-fidelity Text Analysis
technology in all major languages. This groundbreaking technology includes
a comprehensive set of advanced text analysis tools such as search,
categorization, and entity, event and relationship extraction for use in
business intelligence applications.

We have an immediate need for a Computational Linguist who will be
responsible for the Dutch and German language modules in our NLP products.
This includes the creation, maintenance and augmentation of
machine-readable dictionaries, grammar rules and parsing algorithms and the
development and maintenance of tools for the automation and support of
linguistic tasks. The successful candidate will be part of a small and
dedicated team, working on the next generation of Text Analytics tools.

Additional Responsibilities:
-  Be a team player with a team focus on delivering high-quality products
on time
-  Enhance the accuracy of our core technologies, continually research and
add new cool features, optimize the performance of core engines to achieve
breakthrough results

Requirements:
-  Minimum of BA in Computational Linguistics or equivalent
-  2+ years of experience in the NLP industry, or MA in Computational
Linguistics or equivalent
-  Native or near-native knowledge of Dutch and German
-  Fluency in English
-  Strong background in syntax and morphology
-  Proficiency in at least one data manipulation language (Perl preferred)
-  Strict adherence to formal, documented development processes
-  Excellent verbal and written communication skills

Preferred:
-  Knowledge of other European languages (e.g., Swedish)
-  Experience with regex languages and finite state automata for NLP
applications
-  Experience with developing or maintaining modules for human languages
other than immediate area of expertise
-  Good working knowledge of at least one programming language (C++ preferred)
-  Full understanding of the software development life cycle

Our supportive culture helps you build your skills and expertise through
exposure to transnational projects and opportunities, a team of some of the
brightest minds in the industry, and a focus on learning and development.
You provide the passion and direction, and we'll give you the support and
opportunity you need to evolve your career. With Business Objects, it's not
about chance. It's about career intelligence. Evolve.

To apply for this position, please visit:
http://www.recruitingcenter.net/clients/businessobjects/publicjobs/controller.cfm?jbaction=JobProfile&Job_Id=17576&esid=az

Web Address for Applications: http://www.recruitingcenter.net/clients/businessobjects/publicjobs/
Contact Information:
	Michael Wiesner