18.2535, All: Find It: Searches at LINGUIST List

Wed Aug 29 18:50:17 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2535. Wed Aug 29 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2535, All: Find It: Searches at LINGUIST List

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 13-Aug-2007
From: Ann Sawyer < sawyer at linguistlist.org >
Subject: A How-to For Finding Information and Resources at LL

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:48:35
From: Ann Sawyer [sawyer at linguistlist.org]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2535.html&submissionid=153864&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

In addition to our mailing list, The LINGUIST List has become an online
linguistics-community resource, packed with over 2,000 webpages of
information.  What is on the website?

1) Every issue we have ever posted, all the way back to December 1990.
Find the current year's issues at:  http://linguistlist.org/issues/index.html
and archived issues at:  http://linguistlist.org/issues/master.html

     a.  Looking for a specific issue, but only have a bit of information?
         Search our listserv archive by issue number, submitter's name,
         keyword, or relative to a particular date, at:
         http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?S1=linguist

2) Archives for over 130 other linguistics mailing lists.  Browse through
or search them at: http://linguistlist.org/lists/index.html

3) Information about the world's known languages, found at:
http://linguistlist.org/forms/langs/find-a-language-or-family.html

     a.	 Search for a language, by name or by language code, and see all
          that *we* have on it, as well as one-touch access to information
          from the Ethnologue, Rosetta, Odin and Google databases.

     b.	 Search by family or subgroup and view family trees to learn about
          languages relationships to each other.

     c.	 Use our interactive world map to search for languages by region.
          Just click a country for a list of all languages spoken there.
Click
         each language for further information.

4)  Search 2,000-plus pages of resources using our Site Search, at:
http://linguistlist.org/search/search-all-res1.cfm
In a single scan, quickly search our collection by resource type,
linguistic subfield, and language or language family.  Customize your
search to find only the resources you want - books, bibliographies,
dissertation abstracts, jobs, conferences, free font downloads, linguistics
syllabi, projects and societies, and a host of others - all in your own
areas of interest.  Access every item in your search results with a simple
click.

5)  The Site Map:  http://linguistlist.org/LL/sitemap.html
Site maps, often overlooked, are the workhorses of any website.  At a
glance, the site map can show you where to find what you seek, and get you
there with a click.

6) Take advantage of the OLAC (the Open Language Archives Community)
catalog of 33 major archives.   All linguists are no doubt familiar with
the difficulty of finding information relevant to their research. OLAC is
dedicated to collecting information about language resources and making it
available from a single search:

http://linguistlist.org/olac/

7) Find field linguists and endangered languages data by visiting the EMELD
(Electronic Metadata for Endangered Languages Data) website:

http://emeld.org/

As ever, we welcome your comments and feedback.  Should you encounter
difficulty or think of some idea that may prove useful to other users,
please let us hear from you.  We are constantly working to improve the site
as a facility for researchers, and your input helps us do that.

The LINGUIST List Crew

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable