18.581, Disc: Effects of Technology on Communication; Bialystok's Model

Wed Feb 21 21:09:43 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-581. Wed Feb 21 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.581, Disc: Effects of Technology on Communication; Bialystok's Model

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-Feb-2007
From: Susan Ervin-Tripp < ervintripp at berkeley.edu >
Subject: New: Effects of Technology on Communication

2)
Date: 14-Feb-2007
From: maite correa < maite at email.arizona.edu >
Subject: New: Alternative to Bialystok's Model of Lang Learning

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:06:10
From: Susan Ervin-Tripp < ervintripp at berkeley.edu >

Having just had an unpleasant exchange with a university administrator, in which I
wrote a complex letter on a computer, and he replied with a very brief answer on
a Blackberry, I am wondering if anyone has studied the effects of Blackberries.

The basic questions are these:

1. What is the effect of communication when one party can write extensively, but
the other one can only give short replies, and cannot interlard questions and
replies because of space limits.

2. What is the effect on complexity of communication of a medium designed for
use while in motion or doing other things?

Susan Ervin-Tripp