18.585, Diss: Cognitive Science/Psycholing/Semantics/Syntax: Guilliot: 'La ...'

Wed Feb 21 21:45:27 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-585. Wed Feb 21 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.585, Diss: Cognitive Science/Psycholing/Semantics/Syntax: Guilliot: 'La ...'

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Hunter Lockwood <hunter at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Feb-2007
From: Nicolas Guilliot < nico.guilliot at gmail.com >
Subject: La Reconstruction à l'interface entre syntaxe et sémantique

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:43:17
From: Nicolas Guilliot < nico.guilliot at gmail.com >

Institution: University of Nantes
Program: Language Sciences
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2006

Author: Nicolas Guilliot

Dissertation Title: La Reconstruction à l'interface entre syntaxe et sémantique

Dissertation URL:  http://nicolas.guilliot.chez-alice.fr/these_guilliot.pdf

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Psycholinguistics
                     Semantics
                     Syntax

Dissertation Director(s):
Ronnie Cann
Hamida Demirdache
Orin Percus
Alain Rouveret
Uli Sauerland

Dissertation Abstract:

In Generative Grammar, reconstruction corresponds to the interaction
between displacement structures, such as relativization, dislocation or
interrogation, and structural constraints which drive sentence
interpretation, such as quantifier scope or binding conditions. Building on
novel data from resumption in Semitic and Celtic languages, as well as in
French and in English, our study shows that the traditional analysis of
reconstruction based on the presence of movement is empirically and
theoretically inadequate, and further argues for a new approach based
syntactically on the presence of copies resulting from either movement or
ellipsis, and based semantically on the interpretation of copies as either
indefinite or definite descriptions. Our study finally shows how
reconstruction can be dealt with within a model of the interaction between
grammar and parsing, namely Dynamic Syntax.