18.620, Confs: Phonetics,Phonology,Typology/Germany

Mon Feb 26 18:09:52 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-620. Mon Feb 26 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.620, Confs: Phonetics,Phonology,Typology/Germany

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Ania Kubisz <ania at linguistlist.org>

Date: 24-Feb-2007
From: Sun-Ah Jun < jun at humnet.ucla.edu >
Subject: Workshop on Intonational Phonology

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:06:23
From: Sun-Ah Jun < jun at humnet.ucla.edu >

Workshop on Intonational Phonology
Short Title: Intonation

Date: 05-Aug-2007 - 05-Aug-2007
Location: Saarbrücken, Germany
Contact: Sun-Ah Jun
Contact Email: intonation at humnet.ucla.edu
Meeting URL: http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/jun/intonation.htm

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics; Phonology; Typology

Meeting Description

In recent years, the framework of intonational phonology, also known as the
Autosegmental-Metrical (AM) model of intonation, has been applied to many
languages, but most of these have been major languages or languages whose
prosodic systems have been fairly well-known to us. However, to better
understand prosodic typology, we need to analyze a wider range of prosodic
systems using the same framework.

This workshop aims to provide a forum to introduce and discuss the intonational
phonology of languages whose prosodic systems have not been studied much or
whose prosodic systems have been studied through fieldwork research. Through
this workshop, we hope to learn the various prosodic systems of understudied
languages and the methods of collecting intonation data through fieldwork research.

Several invited speakers will present the intonational phonology of various
understudied/fieldwork languages. We also expect to include some oral/poster
presentations during the workshop. Any topic related to intonational phonology
is welcome but a model of the intonation system of an understudied/fieldwork
language would be particularly welcome. If you are interested in presenting your
work (either completed or in progress), please send a long abstract (up to 1000
words) to intonation at humnet.ucla.edu with 'abstract' written on the subject
line. Submissions should be in pdf format.

Invited Speakers

Laura Downing (ZAS, Germany)
        - Chichewa, Chitumbuka, & Durban Zulu
Janet Fletcher (Univ. of Melbourne, Australia)
        - Dalabon, an Australian Aboriginal Language
Shelome Gooden (Univ. of Pittsburgh)
        - Jamaican Creole
Carlos Gussenhoven (Radboud University Nijmegen)
        - Yucatec Maya
Yosuke Igarashi (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science/National Institute
for Japanese Language)
        - Japanese dialects
Elinor Keane (Oxford Univ. Phonetics Lab)
        - Tamil

Important Dates

Abstract submission deadline: May 15, 2007
Notification of acceptance: June 1, 2007
Paper submission deadline: June 30, 2007

If you would like to participate in the workshop, please send an e-mail message
by May 15, 2007 to intonation at humnet.ucla.edu with 'Workshop participation'
written on the subject line. Please include the following information in your
e-mail
-	your name and email
-	affiliation
-	status (student or regular)
-	language(s) you are working on and/or language(s) you are interested in

Organizer

Sun-Ah Jun
Department of Linguistics, UCLA

Advisory Committee

Janet Fletcher, University of Melbourne, Australia
Carlos Gussenhoven, Radboud University, Nijmegen
Bob Ladd, University of Edinburgh