18.1, All: LINGUIST List: A Forum

Thu Jan 4 22:02:52 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1. Thu Jan 04 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1, All: LINGUIST List:  A Forum

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project / Long Now Foundation

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 28-Dec-2006
From: Ann Sawyer < sawyer at linguistlist.org >
Subject: LINGUIST List:  A Forum

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 17:00:59
From: Ann Sawyer < sawyer at linguistlist.org >

Dear LINGUIST Readers,

On December 13, 1991, Anthony Aristar posted LINGUIST's first issue,
announcing the formation of the List.  In that issue, Dr. Aristar wrote
that LINGUIST's goal was "...to provide a forum for the discussion of those
issues which interest professional linguists."  If you would care to read
LINGUIST's inaugural issue, visit this URL:

http://linguistlist.org/issues/1/1-0.html

Since that time we have gone from a small handful of subscribers to nearly
30,000 linguists worldwide (wow).  If you are a LINGUIST List subscriber, you:

1) Know subscribing to LINGUIST List is free.  And subscribing is easy too -
visit this URL:  http://linguistlist.org/LL/subs-index.cfm

2) Have seen how our posted items have been on the increase since the early
days:  from just under 900 in 1992, to more 3,800 this past year, over a
400% increase.

What you may not know is that, today, LINGUIST offers a couple of options
to help subscribers manage the flow of information they receive from us.
If you are a full subscriber (vs. LINGLITE), you can alter your
subscription settings, selecting only those linguistic topics that are of
interest to you.  So if you want to see only Calls & Confs and Book
Reviews, you can do that.  Here is how:  On the subs-index page (link
above), in the text to the right of 'LINGUIST', click on 'Subscribe or
alter your settings', and then follow the instructions on the webform to do
one or both of those things.

If you would rather not receive email, but do want to read LINGUIST
postings,  you can do two things:

*Visit our 'Read LINGUIST' page, a link to which is found on the homepage
(you could bookmark the page once you're there to save yourself time
later).  Here you can select items to read according to Topic, or scan the
bottom of this page for the 50 most recent items to have been posted.

*Subscribe via RSS feed.  This allows you to place a bookmark directly to
as many LINGUIST posts as you would like to see at any given time.   To
learn about RSS, visit this URL:

http://linguistlist.org/issues/rss/index.cfm

Every issue LINGUIST posts is archived.  If you would like to read
something posted in April of 1998, or see everything posted under the FYI
heading since the beginning of LINGUIST time, visit the Master Archive at:

http://linguistlist.org/issues/master.html

Most of you know that LINGUIST List is no longer just a mailing list - we
simply have more information than can reasonably be distributed via email
alone.  So we designed a website to house this information:

http://linguistlist.org/

If you have primarily used LINGUIST for the mailing list, do visit the
homepage and take a tour of the top menu bar - you may be surprised at the
resources we have compiled here.  A sampling of what you can find:

------------------
PEOPLE & ORGANIZATIONS     (http://linguistlist.org/people/index.html)

Looking for another linguist in your specialty?  Click on Directory of
Linguists and search by subject language or linguistic subfield. We list
professional information on 11,500 linguists.
------------------

PUBLICATIONS    (http://linguistlist.org/pubs/index.html)

Read about recently published books, see Book Reviews.  Browse, search, or
add to our database of academic papers and dissertations.  Find a
linguistics-related blog, or add the link for yours so that LINGUIST
readers can visit and contribute.

Find the names of linguistics journals, get contact information so you can
submit articles for publication to linguistics journals, find calls for
papers for journals.
------------------

TEXT & COMPUTER TOOLS    (http://linguistlist.org/tools/index.html)

Need data?  Find texts and corpora, search by linguistic subfield, subject
language or language family;  submit a link to make another collection of
data available.  Remember, many of your fellow LINGUIST subscribers may not
have easy access to libraries and other resources - this is one way you can
help them get what they need for their work.

Find or add information about style guides, software for linguists,
sources for fonts and markup languages.

We hope you find something new and useful among our pages.  If you know of
other types of resources that your fellow linguists may wish to know about,
send us an email at linguist at linguistlist.org.  We are adding to and
working to improve the site all the time.

Thank you for using LINGUIST List - and have a healthy, happy new year.

Ann Sawyer
Managing Editor
LINGUIST List

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable